Friday, February 10, 2012

I created this blog at 8:53 PM February 10th

I have no idea why... but I felt like this is a good idea.  I felt like I needed a place to put my perspective about why I make YouTube videos.

Nobody's perfect.  You don't have to be a professional to be capable.  And man is only as successful as his willingness to fail, not to succeed.  Success is the reward of perseverance.  Without failure, you never learn anything.  You just endure the monotony of never taking risks.

I've been shooting videos about all-wheel drive turbo 4g63 powered cars for a little over 3 years now and started doing it just like every other "car guy" on YouTube.  I came from a community of enthusiasts.  I'm a product of a collective, but do not believe in doing everything the same as everyone else; but still, I'm no rebel.  I just use their knowledge and experience as a guide to achieve my goal.  I have respect for others who learned their lessons the hard way, and try not to repeat their mistakes so I pay attention to them when they share.  I've been on both sides of the forum discussions asking questions and providing advice typing endlessly in discussions and posting still photos.  After a few dozen uploads someone gifted me with a 1080 HD broadcast-quality camera insisting that I was making history.  I really never intended to make a single how-to video, but realized eventually that sharing my experience as I built my cars, whether successful or a failure IS INDEED a how-to video.  I can't completely agree that I'm making history since everything I'm building has been done before, but I'm realizing there are new ways to present the information like with video for those who don't know how to find it, or who refuse to read.  I'm not an oracle.  I'm just a guy with a service manual, some experience, and good resources and people available to me.

I still make mistakes.  Watch my channel and you'll see I make mistakes.  Whenever something goes wrong and I'm shooting a video, 99% of the time it's my fault for lining up all the planets and causing it to happen myself.  You'll never see me blame someone else when something goes wrong.  I don't yell at vendors and machine shops for the same reason I don't yell at the teller in a drive-thru.  Things always turn out better in the end when you don't do stuff like that.  Better to just own the problem and find the solution.  The faster you can practice acceptance in life, the less you'll have to be pissed off about.

I put videos up here so other people can learn from both my successes and failures, and to deliver what others have taught me in a new kind of media.  I'm not in competition with anyone, nor do I feel the need to be the best at anything.  I just know what I want, and will keep trying until I get there.  I'm also aware that there are thousands of DSMs out there faster than mine.  Hundreds of DSMs out there prettier than mine.  Millions of mechanics more qualified than myself.  I will never do anything to discount anyone's achievements.  Those are the guys I really want to talk to and learn from.

15 years of owning Mitsubishis will turn anyone into a better mechanic.  The first time you experience an AWD launch in a turbo DSM, you're addicted.  No matter how badly the car treats you, you'll continue doing anything to feel those G's again, until one of you are dead.  You will either pay someone to maintain it, or realize that you'll have a better chance to sustain that thrill over a longer period of time if you work on it yourself.  That's just how it is.  At times, even while parked, you may even think the car is trying to kill you.  Yeah, you also thought that about the one with whom you experienced the best sex you ever had, so quit whining.

These designs are 20+ years old now.  They were built prior to the realization that people would ever be force-fed soulless hybrids as a result of failing energy policies.  Depending on where your priorities are and because times change, a DSM might not be the right car for you.  That's precisely why everyone with a built and tuned Mitsubishi drives or owns something else.  Those who don't have a backup car accessible usually get out of the DSM game from frustration.  If you're 16 and getting your license, you're probably looking for a car.  A parent who gifts you one of these loves you very much, but might not be doing you a favor because speed can kill, and these cars ARE fast.  If you don't have the capability of maintaining it or using it responsibly, owning just a DSM will get in the way of your employment opportunities, social life, and education... possibly even legal consequences.  Keep shopping for another car if one lands on you as your first car so you'll have a better experience.  Something that gets better than 11mpg in the city would benefit you at this stage.  If you must have the performance of a turbo DSM, and want to maintain the job, girlfriend and grades, you're going to have to take up 2 parking spaces in order to meet your obligations.  It will allow you to work on it at your own pace, and this will make everything about owning it more fun.

The reason I stand firm on that is because the enormous reward in performance for little effort and money spent on a DSM will most certainly lead to bigger things, requiring more time and more money with every failure or upgrade.  The result is a distraction from more important goals, and if you can't keep up with that, life will put you under pressure to eventually sell or scrap it.  Please don't do the latter unless sparing others from a known and provable curse.

The economy is in the dump.  They will not depreciate any further, and becoming more scarce with every broken part.  Right now, they're cheap and parts are highly-available.  Their value hit bottom years ago.  Their book value is currently non-existent, so people have to ask what they're worth, and you WILL get what you pay for.  Mitsubishi made 864,000 2g cars and I'd be surprised if 1/3 of them are left.  If you examine current trends in car values, it took until the late '90's before any Classic American production cars really began to appreciate in value or make 40 years of maintenance worthwhile.  Cars tend to get valuable when the people who originally bought them in their youth retire.  Cars built in massive numbers either never appreciate in value, or take over 40 years to get there.  That means it could easily be 20 years before any of them without a pedigree or history could ever valuable at all.  Much of that value depends on the owners' experiences with them and the reputation they built.  DSMs are no Ferraris... but who needs a Ferrari when you're laying down consistent 1.6 second 60' times using a car that costs less than his shift knob?  It's just an example.  I love Ferraris.  I'm just trying to help you set your expectations of what kind of investment you're getting into.  You will learn more than you ever thought you wanted to know about cars with a DSM.  You will spend countless hours achieving lofty goals if that's what you want.  It's a good platform to get there.   You may never make a dime from your investment, but the education and experience is worth it.  As of the date of this post, a DSM is an affordable choice for those accepting the challenge.  If you're that person, please keep it on the track.  There's no education on the street, only consequences.

I post videos about stuff I'm doing in my garage because of the guidance the DSM community offered me. Putting their advice to use was an education that I can replace by just reading, surfing forums, posting in mail lists, and going to events because nothing ever happens with it unless you get your hands dirty and put that knowledge to use.  More than information, those online resources are full of ideas.  What people did who posted the information was remove my fear to tear into the unknown.  It's really an amazing bunch of mechanics that the internet has created.  I think they've helped more people than they will ever realize.  I'm grateful it happened back when these cars were new... then the forums came along just as the warranties were expiring.  An absolutely amazing amount of information is available about these cars as a result of that moment in time and what it created, but as interest wanes, links die, and parts get hard to find... knowledge is lost.  Maybe, just maybe... if I can share my videos and show others that there's nothing to fear... nothing scary on the inside... just maybe these cars and enthusiasts will still be around when I retire?  Perhaps a few others with them?  Perhaps someone who learns from me will give it to someone else?

My point is, you guys created me.  You did it over the internet.  Nothing I post would exist or matter without all of you because I wouldn't have known how to build it, and the channel would be meaningless without ALL of those who found me and subscribed.  I've never solicited a single friend, subscription or what YouTube now calls "Contacts" in order to put it out there because I wanted capable interested viewers.  People who know how to use a search button, or those who follow their interests.  I must be doing something right?  The biggest troll in my comments is me.  I never expected more than a handful of people to ever find me, didn't expect the speed at which the channel has grown, and can't express my gratitude any other way than to keep making the videos.  I'm very grateful for all of you.

Jafro

3 comments:

  1. Liked the valve job video u posted on yutube and it helped me tyk care of my isuzu 4jb1 kb series...been meaning to ask ur video shooting equipment used on tht video??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi i think that your videos are very good , i have one thing you perhaps should test , i work in ALU every day and the best thing to use to cool and lube when you drill , mill , and other work in ALU is etanol , at my work we use 99,99 % and if you never have tested it please do , its extremely good , my English is very bad but i hope you understand

    ReplyDelete
  3. My question would be;

    What was your first hobby car before the 4G63T engines found you?

    ReplyDelete